KIM, Tae-Yun (2 February 1946- ) is an entrepreneur, motivational speaker, author, and founder of the Jung SuWon style of martial arts. Dr. Kim was the first female to attain the rank of grandmaster in taekwondo. Dr. Kim was inducted into the Taekwondo Hall of Fame in 2009. As an entrepreneur, Dr. Kim started her first computer company in 1985.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Kim was born in South Korea on 2 February 1946, shortly after the end of the Japanese occupation of Korea. Kim was born into impoverished circumstances, where she was often left to fend for herself at a young age. At age 5, at the start of the Korean War, Kim was abandoned by her family. After the end of the Korean War, Kim went to live with her grandparents. See her uncles practice taekwondo, Kim began practicing at age 7. In 1968 Kim (age 22) emigrated to the Burlington, Vermont USA. In 1985, Kim established the Jung SuWon Martial Art Academy.
Kim has authored self-help and self-improvement books which are published in over 15 languages. She is also the CEO and Chairman of Lighthouse Worldwide Solutions, a manufacturer of particle measurement instruments and real-time contamination monitoring systems. Kim started the company in 1982, relocated to California in 1985, expanded to Medford, Oregon in 2003.
Kim received an Honorary Doctorate degree in Business Administration from Sookmyung Women's University in 2003.
JungSuWon[edit | edit source]
Jung SuWon is a hybrid martial art that combines traditional taekwondo with meditation. The focus of Jung SuWon is on utilizing the whole body, mind, and spirit in every technique, form, and sparring situations.
Publications[edit | edit source]
Kim is an established author; her works can be found on Amazon, GoodReads, and Barnes & Noble. She is known for her inspirational and motivational lectures and writing. In addition to motivational/inspirational writing, she also has published books about the Jung SuWon discipline of martial arts. Notable works include:
- The First Element: Secrets to Maximizing Your Energy (February, 1998) ISBN 978-0965695909
- The Silent Master: Awakening the Power Within (May 1, 1994) ISBN 978-1880032411
- They Call Me Success (Korean)
- Golden Key of the CEO (Chinese version of They Call Me Success)
- Seven Steps to Inner Power (1st printing 1991, 2nd printing-September 30, 2011) ISBN 978-0931432705
Achievements and Awards[edit | edit source]
- Founder of the Art of Jung SuWon
- Chairman & CEO, Lighthouse Worldwide Solutions
- Honorary Commander, U.S. Air Force
- Chairman of the Board, Martial Arts Leadership Federation
- Susan B. Anthony Award, 1985
- Courage to Dream Award, Asian World Film Festival, 2016
- Ambassador to the Nations, Asian World Film Festival, 2016
- Awarded CEDAW Women’s Human Rights Award in Entrepreneurship from the United Nations’ Friends of the Commission on the Status of Women, 2015
- Appointed as Senior Advisor to the National Unification Advisory Council for the reunification of Korea, 2015
- State of California, Woman of the Year, 2002
- Women of Achievement Award, Sports 1991 & Corporate 2002
- Honorary Doctorate degree in Business Administration from Sookmyung Women's University, 2003
- Women of Distinction Award in Technology, 2005
- Selected as Grand Prize winner from all companies in state of California by the California Chamber of Commerce in Simply Success Stories contest, 2004
- Head Coach for the U.S. Women’s team at the 1978 Pre-World Games in Seoul, Korea
- Knight Chevalier and Grand Dame in the Orders of Constantine the Great and of Saint Helen, 2009
- Lifetime Achievement Award presented by Supreme Grandmaster Byong Yu, 2011
- Hope of Korea & Pride of Korea Award of Recognition, presented by Korean Media (MBC, KBS, KEMS, Joong Ang Il Bo, Korea Times), 2011
- Grand Dame, Prior for the No. California Priory, Ambassador to Korea, Japan & China for the Orders of Constantine the Great and of Saint Helen, 2011
- Humanitarian Award, Multi-Ethnic Sports Hall of Fame, 2012
- Honorary Ambassador for State University of New York (SUNY) in Korea, 2012
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Stevie Awards for Women in Business, 2017